My Blog List

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fun Still Life in Ingrid Christensen's class!!

This was a wonderful excercise done in Ingrid's class!This is a picture of my view of the still life and my easel.  We under painted our canvas randomly with the colours we were going to use. Some people used very muted colours evenly spread, and as you can see I chose bright fun colours! We were not to try to place any flower shapes and if we had, we were to move our canvas to the upside down position. I really enjoyed the randomness of this start and it was almost a relief to have the canvas covered with so many colours, it was no longer precious. I have started to add the red flowers.



Red Flower Still Life
Oil on canvas panel 12" x 9"

This is the end result. I really enjoyed this evening and it went by really fast. It was difficult for some of my classmates to start a painting like this and I think this is a love it or leave it way to start a painting. Again, the beautiful colours do not show well in this picture.

2 comments:

  1. I like doing an underpainting first, it gives you a better idea what your painting will look like after it's done and the end result makes for a more luminous painting. Nice job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie. The joys of going to a painting class, trying new ideas. It was certainly fun to start with such bright colours placed so randomly!

    ReplyDelete