My Blog List

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Winter Blooms" - Encaustic painting #4

"Winter Blooms"
16" x 12" encaustic painting on board

Some of the artists in the FCA Encaustic workshop with Ken Bourassa were doing very smooth layers for their painting but as you can see, I was really enjoying making and developing textures. The whole board was covered with coloured paper and ironed into the wax base. I negatively painted around the vase with various layers of colour. The flowers are made with cheesecloth, wax and paint with 1/2 circle glass beads for centres. The stems are made of string. I even had to carve my name into the wax layers as a signature (bottom left).


The picture above shows one of the blooms in better detail as well as the varied background. The painting below is a side view to give you an idea of the thickness of the flowers. The flowers also have bronze and gold highlights to match the vase.


No comments:

Post a Comment